MTV announced this week that the sixth season of The Jersey Shore will be its last. The network cites a decline in ratings as the main reason behind canceling the show, but some speculate about the departure of Snooki and how that has affected viewership. The show was the most-watched original series in MTV history, with nearly 9 million total viewers in Season 3 at the height of its popularity. MTV hopes Jersey Shore viewers will migrate to the spin-off reality series, Snooki and J-Woww. And, if MTV fans are still looking for something to watch, the network will debut a variety of new shows this fall that are sure to appeal to the 18-34 audience: Underemployed, Zach Stone Is Gonna Be Famous, Catfish and the Inbetweeners.
MTV will run a prequel to the beginning of the sixth season with an hour-long special titled “Gym, Tan, Look Back”, which will air prior to the VMA’s on September 6th and feature interviews with the cast. The show’s final season will begin on October 4th.
In honor of the show and its cast of “Guidos” and “Guidettes”, we’ve listed the Top five things we loved about the Jersey Shore:
- The characters: As we say goodbye to Snooki, JWoww, Sammi, Deena, The Situation, Pauly D, Ronnie and Vinny, we reminisce about these characters and their quirky, sometimes volatile personalities. In 2010, the cast was named to Barbara Walters’ list of Top 10 Most Fascinating People. Each week, we’d watch them sleep in, go to the beach, drink, go to the club, get in fights, drink, “smush” and talk about it the next day. The cast was what made this reality show a success.
- The lingo: Watching the Jersey Shore exposed us to a whole new vocabulary. Grenades were not weapons reserved for war-time. Fishing didn’t involve a rod and a real. Meatballs were not just something to eat with your pasta. And GTL became a well-known acronym that summed up the guys’ day-to-day activities.
- The fights: Whether they were out at the club or back at the house, the cast always seemed to come to blows with someone. From drink-induced cat-fights to macho brawls, the show has had its share of great fights: Snooki getting sucker-punched in Season 1, Ronnie’s famous line before being hauled off to jail: “One shot, kid! One shot”, J-Woww beating up The Sitch, Sammi and J-Woww’s fight after “The Note” about Ronnie, and of course the endless emotional battles between Sammi and Ronnie.
- The outfits: “T-Shirt time” at the Jersey Shore house signaled the shedding of the guys’ white tanks for cleaner shirts suitable for the Club. And, at the same time, we’d marvel at what Snooki and J-Woww could squeeze into. In 2011, when Abercrombie publicly offered to pay The Situation not to wear their clothes for fear of damaging Abercrombie’s reputation, it was clear that the world was watching what the Jersey Shore cast was wearing.
- The lifestyle: The Jersey Shore is really just a show about a bunch of roommates partying at the Shore over the summer, a lifestyle we all wanted to lead when we were in our early twenties. And, for five seasons, we’ve watched these twenty-somethings live a carefree, crazy lifestyle that’s turned some unknowns into stars making $2 million a season. Only in America, and apparently, only at the Jersey Shore.